Sunday, February 22, 2015

Kingsmen: The Secret Service

I went to see the first really excellent movie I have seen in a while yesterday. I could even go as far as to say it was “critically acclaimed” as both myself and my wife loved it, and trust me, that is a first. Kingsmen: The Secret Service is based on the comic book series “The Secret Service” by Mark Millar and Dave Gibbons published by Icon Comics. It ran for an entire year as a “limited” series, and probably will have much renewed interest thanks to this wonderful movie. Icon of course is an Imprint of Marvel Comics so you probably have heard of it.

I am a huge fan of comic books, mostly because I am a boy, but partially because I have always loved the story of good and evil. Obscure comics are even more fascinating to me, but this one really takes you on a roller coaster ride that is partially easy to see through, but mostly not. This is how a good comic book works really, so anyone who is not a fan of the genre (like my wife) will have a better understanding of how us comic book fans think. Of course they may not, but at this point with a movie like this to help you out they are probably hopeless.

I’m not going to spoil the movie for anyone but I will place a bit of my own observations that I pulled from this movie. Samuel L Jackson had been getting really overdone to me over the years. You could say that I got sick of his shtick, and was a bit concerned that he would ruin the movie. Look I am not the only person who said this, but I might be the only person to say this, he managed to do his normal shtick in this movie while adding wrinkles to make it interesting. Allow me to explain this, so maybe you can see him the way I did.

He plays a crazy bad ass very well, and unfortunately that seems to be his calling. Sometimes he can make it funny, sometimes he can make it serious, but that’s about all he pulls off well. Even in the Star Wars reboots he played a crazy badass and really tested Star Wars fans tolerance for bull crap, but still managed to pull it off. In this movie he played a globally crazy bad ass with some really amusing quirks that other crazy bad ass characters couldn’t have done. Liam Neeson would have completely failed in this role. For that alone I think everyone should see this movie.

Now of course the most important part of a live comic book movie was satisfied in spades. The special effects were amazing, but that is starting to become the norm since The Matrix made slow motion cinematography a staple. The special effects in this movie though will really remind you of 300 and how it accentuated the way the Spartans fought. You really get a good feeling for why the Kingsmen are so good at what they do.


If I haven’t given you enough to go see the movie, or the way I like to do it, not given you enough to avoid it, keep this last little tidbit in mind. If you are a Libertarian Conservative like me, you will definitely like the fact that the bad guys really are the insanely driven kook Progressives that we like to pick on anyway. The good guys really are the realists that we like to think we are too, protecting a world of fools from themselves, and getting absolutely no credit for it.