Wednesday, May 6, 2015

What a Difference Ten Years Makes

This year my company decided to do something a little different with our service awards, where we would have a dinner and awards ceremony. The stipulations would be that you could bring one guest if you were getting an award, and it would be for anyone celebrating on the 5 year anniversaries. The timing was perfect considering that it is my 10 year anniversary at my company, so I was of course included.

I looked forward to the event for one reason alone. I had never been to the restaurant that the dinner was planned for and you usually can’t get in there without an hour wait, so that was all the incentive I needed. The name of the restaurant is The Tuckaway Tavern, and the vegetarians will need to bear with me because it is a butcher shop and restaurant. Everything they do is top notch, and although I had never been in there I had heard about it plenty enough. I’m not really the party party party type, since I go to bed at 5pm and get up at 1am I don’t exactly mesh well with normal people, and just to be available for this that started about an hour and a half past my bedtime I had to leave work early and go home and take a four hour nap.

Let me say this. The nap was well worth my night out with the beautiful Carrie Crow. We walked into the affair a bit later than everyone else (YES I NAILED THE FASHIONABLY LATE THING, TAKE THAT YOU NIGHT FOLK!) and the first thing we were looking at was a platters of gigundous lobster rolls (pronounced lobstah rolls if you aren’t from around here) and even though I am functionally sick of lobster (lobstah) I took one because they looked good. The beautiful Ms. Crow declined. We then went and found seats along an area with people we get along with, and waited for the food to be served.

I had the “try everything” attitude, and absolutely everything was delicious, even the seafood pie and chicken alfredo (both of which you usually could force into me) and the broccoli, salad and smashed potatoes were to die for. Our iced tea was excellent, and the company was quite nice. The shin dig got under way with the awards presentations, everyone from 5 years of service right up to 25 years of service. I was very proud to be able to say that several people that started the exact same week as I did have all remained and moved up the company ladder as have I, and just about everyone I claimed was a “good egg” when they walked through the doors 5 years into my career were there as well. A great time was to be had all around and you can see the pictures of it all here.

Of course the important thing to remember during times like these is that people like me make it into our mid forties having had quite a few jobs. None of which have ever been a permanent solution to my financial needs or my life skills. To be totally honest here (which I always am whether anyone likes it or not) the company I walked into 10 years ago wasn’t a career choice for me, and at times I called it a career killer. It was when the multi national juggernaut bought my company and installed a little personal worth into me, that I started thinking of life outside of the janitor’s closet. The janitor’s closet I sat in and plotted diabolical plans to take over the universe. Well if I had personal worth I would have anyway.

It was a strange set of circumstances that shook the foundations of my little company, changed it into a part of a big company. That big company installed the kind of leadership I have grown to respect, and then I became the type of person that would go home and take a nap just so I could look forward to hanging out with the same people I work with. The really scary part is that I became the type of person that would admit publicly that I am proud to work with them all and look forward to the next 10 years.