Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The Walking Dead. No Spoilers, I am way behind the curve on this one.

My sons have decided we should start watching the "Walking Dead."  It is a television show, produced and aired by AMC. AMC stands for American Movie Classics, but it seems like they have recently made some real noise making television shows. And a show about zombies is likely to have mass appeal.

I have seen "Night of the Living Dead," "28 Days Later," "Dawn of the Dead," and "Shawn of the Dead," when I was younger, I even had the "Zombies Greatest Hits," (which was great, I think I am off to iTunes after this post is finished, (I know, you are thinking "is this post ever going to end?")) so zombies are nothing new. There was even some reference to zombies in one of the James Bond movies, "Live and Let Die" I think. Zombies and I go way back. Plus, I have been a Grateful Dead fan for years, and years. So I am all over dead stuff.

But, there is something about this show. It breaks free from the stereotypical, formulaic arc of success, that is typical of most television. The good guy wins once in a while, and the hero lives to fight another day. Basically, there is no happy ending. And, for the love of God, don't get too attached to any character, because they probably won't last too long.


It is a brutal show, filled with violence, and anger. Kind of like the presidential primaries. But, without the artificial smiles. Nobody on this show, ever smiles, they have no reason to smile, or laugh, or not kill each other. We are only on season ? I don't know, that is the bad thing about watching on Netflix, who knows where you are. Kind of like being chased across the south by zombies, you don't know where you will end up.

It is a gruesome show about dead people who are walking around, and not all of them are dead, yet. But, I think they probably will be pretty soon. For the life of me, I can't figure out why I keep going back, but I do. It is compelling and gripping. 

So, if you are looking for something light, and airy, look elsewhere, but if you are looking for problems, and heartache and a sense of terrible loss tune in.  This show grabs you, and locks on tight, gripping you, like a hungry zombie, and it seems they are all hungry, all the time. If I were going to nominate it for an award, it would be the "Best Show Not to Watch While Eating."