Thursday, September 10, 2015

LONGMIRE IS BACK!


I turned on the little background noise maker that I have hanging on the wall in my office when I got up this morning, to find a nice surprise waiting for me. Season 4 of Longmire was locked and ready to go on Netflix, and I was quite happy about that. I mean when I found out that A&E was no longer carrying Longmire it was quite a shock because the show was "too popular" among older viewers. The people that television networks try to avoid like the plague, because their habits have already been formed. It is hard to advertise crap to them like you can an 18 to 24 year olds. The show itself actually pulled in great ratings and I was one of those people that watched it, as old as I seem to be becoming every day.

The amusing part of all of this is that many a critic came right out and said that Netflix was crazy to pick the show up because again, that older demographic, but guess what folks? It appears that a streaming service like Netflix isn't selling soap and beer to anyone, they are selling subscriptions to their service, and more and more subscriptions are being reeled in everyday by their slate of quality television style shows. This also demonstrated the ignorance of the given networks have somehow managed to infiltrate down to the cable channels, because the coup of picking up Longmire might have been the smartest thing Netflix has done yet. While the demographic of who you can and can not sell to doesn't effect the streaming services, the fact that their audience tends to be the exact people that the networks wish they had anyway, the older crowd IS their untapped audience.

Now as I know a few people might be sitting out there assuming that because your grandfather can't program the VCR, and the HD Television revolution might be passing them by, we are watching more and more of the pre to current AARP crowd being every bit computer and gadget savvy. They just really hadn't had the reasoning to go buy a Roku device or tear themselves away from their cable TV since they tend to have more disposable income than the younger generations that are still finding their stride. I have had it on pretty good authority from people all over the "gadget" industry, be it Best Buy or even Wal-Mart, that the ages of the people buying the average "streaming" gadgets has been getting older every year. A lot of this might have to do with the fact that these services are a lot more enticing to the older crowd, and more over, it is starting to look like the streaming media crowd wants their loyalty, while the networks have done everything short of telling them to go to Hell.

If you are a fan of a good mystery that manages to be fresh and follow a theme in every episode, I would definitely suggest that you get on the Longmire bandwagon. I don't want to spoil anything, but I will say, if you were already a fan of the show, think of how it will be with an extra 15 minutes on every episode. The depth and added content in the first episode of season four alone showed me that Netflix is all in, and they want you to love the show. That's all I ever asked for.